Proposed new setting

All proposals for changes to look and feel, what is available, settings, and anything outside of the rules and regulations goes here.

Proposed new setting

Postby Magi Gabriel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 am

So I got around to doing some sketching out of a proposed new setting, and decided to contribute some extremely rough concept art to the as yet unnamed location. A singular setting to take over for the Sword and Sorcery fantasy.

Essentially it is a floating island in the middle of no world in particular's space, orbiting a star to provide day and night.

Key points:
  • It will be accessible by big portals, little portals, Spelljammers (or similar device), hidden portals on other islands and just plain "magic"
  • Dominated primarily by a epic sized keep, which is mostly run by humanoid beings but can facilitate visits and even potentially housing for giants, dragons, etc
  • Allows for multiple locations for business, homes, etc, with a fairly simple guide: The closer to the top of the Keep you are the richer you probably are (with some exceptions)
  • Has woods, ruins and surrounding islands both fantastic and simply habital for the purposes of adventure etc
  • Has a mostly transitional population, due to it being a Sigil like nexus of portals etc, and the locals are used to many weird and wonderful things
  • This is actually about as much as been written at this point, so it gives characters a lot of room and allows for a lot of adventuring, making up background to fit your character, etc

My plan, as it sits, is to get some fluff for the general setting (which is still open to in depth revision) and some more in depth fluff for a couple of the areas so they can replace the current rooms (also work out a story to allow for that too). At the moment I'm generally leaning towards:

• The Tavern of Doors will replace CRT as a tavern primarily occupied by humanoid beings, but with less setting restrictions and a general atmosphere of awareness of supernatural beings.
  • Either the Sky Market or the Inner Keep Market will replace the Great Bazaar - possibly both will or I'll do a trial and keep the one people use
  • Each are will get a combat area to allow for dueling
  • Each setting will get a golem or equivalent
  • In character laws will be written up to reflect the setting and general OC rules as well.
  • More settings areas may get rooms for special events, on demand, etc
  • Players will be free to make private rooms for any and all of the areas, run adventures, etc. Also free to use private rooms to continue goings on in the previous setting(s) - such as if your character owns a shop in Ford Keep - it'll be accessible by one of the portals.

I'm putting this up here to see if this interests people, if they would find it more engaging and accessible than the current settings and to find out if there is anyone who is interested in helping write some of the fluff. So with that in mind, I'd like to open the floor for opinions and feedback.
Magi Gabriel
Site Admin

Re: Proposed new setting

Postby Magi Nashira » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 am

Also, we'd be happy to see what ideas are put forth as to what this realm might be called. :mrgreen:
"Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for." Dag Hammarskjold
"They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate." Farscape
Magi Nashira

Postby Wereteddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm

I like what I see, though I have no suggestions for names. Naming locations is the one thing I have the most difficulty with.
"I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men."
Wereteddy

Postby Allegro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 am

Yay! I want to get a little list ready for you guys if that's okay so I don't just continuously post things on this thread.
Onward.
Allegro

Postby Magi Nashira » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am

By all means, Allegro, we're happy to see the list you offer. :)
"Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for." Dag Hammarskjold
"They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate." Farscape
Magi Nashira

Postby Jessybel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Quick note because I have to go to work. (Blast it!).

Generally I like it. It is far more expansive than I originally imagined it to be, and yet still concise enough that it can be perceived as a small setting. The other thing I particularly like is the break between class systems, which always makes for interesting tension. And with dramatic tension you get stories. Very cool little home-brew.
Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you.
Jessybel

Postby Allegro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Ooh it would be kind of cool to have some kind of quantifiable status clashing!
Onward.
Allegro

Postby Jessybel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 am

Indeed!

Docktown sounds like it would be fishermen, wet and muggy streets with people haggling for pennies at the nearby markets. While Guildtown is the source of perhaps thieves and merchants guilds, where everything costs you a favour. The concept of a higher city perceiving itself as better-than-others almost sets up a caste system, where the rich and noble only interact with the "lower regions" if they're up to something.

It's very intriguing.
Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you.
Jessybel

Postby Allegro » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:00 am

So I have a small working list of ideas for names of the new setting, and I'm going to just put all I have here. I do like a few of them, but I'll won't say so if someone feels it's totally junk they won't worry about offending (pressure lol).

SO in no particular order, I have:
Ferellia
Farronia
Rim’s Reach
Estomir
Callambraugh
Shaedovir
Hodrane
Oakanor
Mardu
Zalestra
Fregael
Solbarivan Isles

I thought I had a lot more, but I figured this would be a good jump base. I tried to combine sounds that make the place seem habitable but also highlight the danger enough in them, what with what appears to be an island made entirely of fire, an island filled with crazy evil, and the edge of the world just hanging out nearby. Like I said, if they're not good, just slash them and I'll either make more or just work with someone to try to make a better name.

P.S., for a while I had a name called Fa'ararai, but it was only for the audio joke. Still funny.
Last edited by Allegro on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onward.
Allegro

Postby Nox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 pm

I like Rim's Reach.
Nox

Next

Return to ISRP of the Future